Fruit salad with custard is my ultimate comfort food. It is delicious and is defiantly healthier than other Indian sweets. It is super easy and quick to make, you don’t need ultimate cooking expertise and you don’t need tons of complex ingredients. Moreover it is fun to make with your friends. I literally make it once or twice a month and never get fed up of it. Since we can experiment with seasonal fruits, it tastes different every time. Let’s see how I made this classic indian fruit dessert.
Preparation time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 15 minutes. Serves – 6.
Custard Powder – 5 tbs
Milk – 1&1/2 ltr
Sugar – 8 tbs
4 to 5 fruits – 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 peach, grapes, 1/4th grapefruit, 1 orange, 1 tangerine, 1 pomegranate seeds
I found custard powder in vanilla flavor and tutti frutti at Indian store. Find similar one here.
- Take 5 tbs of custard powder in a bowl.
- Add 235 ml (1 cup) of milk.
- Mix well removing all lumps.
- Keep this custard mixture aside.
- Start boiling about 1 ltd (5 cups) milk in a thick pan.
- Add 8 tbs of sugar, stir and mix well.
- Once milk starts boiling, reduce the flame.
- Start pouring our custard mixture slowly in to the milk.
- Stir continuously so that no lumps are formed.
- Keep the flame low and heat it until you see it thickening.
- Custard is very tricky as it burns quickly so make sure you keep the flame low and stir continuously.
- Custard should be flowy in consistency.
- Turn off the flame and wait till the mixture gets cold.
- Refrigerate the mixture.
- Cut all fruits in about 1 inch size.
- For my recipe, I have used 1 banana, 1 apple, 1/2 peach, grapes, 1/4th grapefruit, 1 orange, 1 tangerine, 1 pomegranate seeds. You can add or remove fruits as per your wish and availability.
- Avoid watermelon as milk and watermelon does not quite work well.
- Keep some pomegranate seeds aside for garnishing.
- Cut apple and banana last as they go brown quickly if kept in open.
Custard with fruit salad
- Once the custard is nicely chilled, mix all fruits in the custard.
- Pour the custard fruit salad in a bowl or glass of your choice.
- Garnish with tutti frutti, pomegranate seeds and cashew nuts.
You can add some dry fruits like dates, raisins etc if you like.